Welcome by the University of Hamburg and Opening Addresses
8.30 - 10.00 a.m.
- Prof. Dr. Ing. habil. Monika Auweter-Kurtz, President of the University of Hamburg
- Prof. Dr. Michael Zimmermann, Asien-Afrika Institut, Buddhist Studies
- Rinchen Khando Chogyal, retired Minister of Education of the Tibetan Government in Exile, Director of Tibetan Nuns' Project
- Prof. Dr. Lambert Schmithausen, Foundation for Buddhist Studies
- Prof. Samdhong Rinpoche, Kalon Tripa of the Tibetan Government in Exile: The Necessities of Monks and Nuns in Modern Times
- Bhiksuni Dr. Myongsong Sunim, President of the National Bhikkhuni Assembly of the Korean Buddhist Jogye Order and Dean of the Graduate School, Un Mun Sangha College: The Role of Bhiksunis in the Twenty-First Century
- Prof. Dr. Karma Lekshe Tsomo, President of Sakyadhita International Association of Buddhist Women: Gender Equity and Human Rights
Moderator: Dr. Thea Mohr
1 Foundation of the Bhiksuni Order
10.00 – 11.30 a.m.
- Analayo: The Four Assemblies and the Foundation of the Order of Nuns
- Dr. Ute Hüsken: The Eight Garudhammas
- Prof. Dr. Oskar von Hinüber: The Foundation of the Bhikkhuni as a Model for a Revival
- Gisela Krey: The Acceptance of Women in Early Buddhism
- Prof. Dr. Noritoshi Aramaki: Mahapajapati Gotami as the Bhikkhuni
Moderator: Prof. Dr. Michael Zimmermann
Lunch Break 90 min.: 11.30 a.m. – 13.00 p.m. (university canteen 5 min. walk)
2 Bhiksuni Ordination
13.00 – 15.40 p.m.
- Bhikkhuni Sik Wei-Chun: The Legal Procedures for the Bhiksuni Ordination
- Acarya Geshe Tashi Tsering: A Summary of Research Works on Bhikshuni Ordination. Revival in Mulasarvastivada Tradition Flourishing in Tibet
- Prof. Bhiksuni Heng-ching Shih: Three Options: Re-establishing the Bhiksuni Lineage in the Tibetan Tradition
- Bhiksu Huimin Shih: An Inquiry Concerning the Lineage of Bhikkhuni Ordination
- Dr. Petra Kieffer-Pülz: Presuppositions for a valid ordination with respect to the restoration of the bhiksuni ordination in the Mulasarvastivada tradition
- Dr. Shayne Clarke: Creating Nuns Out of Thin Air: Problems and Possible Solutions concerning the Ordination of Nuns according to the Tibetan Monastic Code
- Dr. Ann Heirman: Sramaneris and siksamanas in the Dharmaguptaka tradition
- Inyoung Chung (Bhiksuni Sukdham): The Revival of a Dual Ordination for Korean Buddhist Nuns in the Modern Period
Moderator: Bhiksuni Jampa Tsedroen
Refreshments 20 min.: 15.40 – 16.00 p.m.
3 History of the Bhiksuni Order
16.00 – 18.00 p.m.
- Prof. Dr. Peter Skilling: Tracing the History of Nuns in South Asia
- Mettanando Bhikkhu: The First Council
- Damchö Diana Finnegan: A Flawless Ordination: Some Narratives of Nuns' Ordinations in the Mūlasarvāstivādavinaya
- Prof. Dr. Florin Deleanu: Between State Control and State Neglect: Nuns in Ancient and Early Mediaeval Japan
- Dr. Ivette Maria Vargas-O'Bryan: Remembering the Ordained Nuns: Models for Modern Tibetan Communities
- Dr. Shobha Rani Dash: Misinterpretations of the Buddhist Texts and the Problem of Ordination of Women
Moderator: Prof. Dr. Lambert Schmithausen
Dinner/Tea break 60 min.: 18.00 – 19.00 p.m. (university canteen 5 min. walk)
Buddhismus (Foundation for Buddhist Studies) and
takes place in co-operation with the
Asia-Africa-Institute of the University of Hamburg.
See our list of sponsors.